Recreation Commission Meeting Minutes 03/23/2021

Printer friendly

Recreation Commission

March 23, 2021, Tuesday @ 6:00PM/ZOOM MEETING



Meeting called by & time:  Jen Catolane, 6:03PM.

Meeting facilitated by:  Jen Catolane.

Board Members Present: Jen Catolane, Dana Pustinger, Kathy Carroll.

Board Members Absent:

Others Present:  Maggie Quigley; Patricia Richard, Program Supervisor.


*This meeting is being conducted remotely through Zoom. You must check back within 24 hours of the start time for a link to join.

Pursuant to the Governor’s March 12, 2020 order suspending certain provisions of the Open Meeting Law, G.L. c. 30A, Sec 18, this meeting is being held via remote participation to the greatest extent possible. Every effort is being made to ensure that any member of the public may access the meeting in real time, via technological means. Agendas will be amended to show the link and participation code to access the meeting no sooner than 48 hours before. Recordings and/or draft proceedings of the meeting will be available on our website as soon as possible.


  1. Introductions. Introduced Maggie Quigley.
  2. Project Proposal, Maggie Quigley.  Maggie summarized her project proposal – sewing 101 for kids, once a week for eight weeks, students would need to bring their own sewing machines and would have a finished project at the end of the program, along with learning skills in making it as well as learning about their machine.  Target age group would be ages 9-13 or ages 9-16, with a maximum of five students.
  3. Alternate.  Renee Tousey initially expressed interest.  Rec has contacted Renee regarding the position and responsibilities. 
  4. Review & approval of Meeting Minutes.  11/10/20 meeting minutes approved unanimously.
  5. Accounting.
    1. FY21 Report.  Reviewed.
    2. Software access.  Vadar permissions still not set up correctly to access data.
    3. Revolving & Donation Accounts.  Reports do not reflect cumulative balance.
  6. FY22 Budget Proposal.  Rec budget was reviewed/discussed at a budget meeting (Rec Comm was not notified it was being discussed, therefore we were not in attendance).  Patricia inquired with Brandi regarding the cut amount from the proposed versus what was approved at this meeting.  (Line item cuts were not listed in the meeting minutes.)  Brandi will send out the budget information in the near future.  2. Town Beach playground equipment (capital request) was not approved.  Select & Finance Boards discussed $10,000 for a few pieces of equipment.  Patricia explained (and sent a quote as an example) that we would not be able to get one piece of equipment (must be commercial grade) for this amount due to equipment costs, installation costs, delivery, safety fiber and having the correct ADA access.  BOS/FB then discussed at another budget meeting to wait on this project.  Rec Comm has submitted this capital request FY21 & FY22, both years denied.
  7. Rec Center.  Exercise equipment maintenance – was originally scheduled last year but wasn’t able to have equipment serviced due to Covid.  The quote is 3x’s the amount as last year due to a company takeover.  Patricia will inquire with another authorized company for the maintenance.  This line item will need to be increased for FY23, as the FY22 budget was already submitted.
  8. Programs/Project Proposals.
    1. Online wellness programs.  April classes include:  Cardio Blast, Mat Yoga, Chair Yoga, Dance your Joy & Inspirations.
    2. Otis Ridge vouchers.  Went with ½ contract and number of vouchers worked out well considering capacity limits at Otis Ridge.
    3. Boredom Boxes.  Thirteen boxes were ordered and were very well received.   Discussed the possibility of a Summer Boredom Box.
    4. Bunny Bags.  Thirty five registrations.  Pickup/drive-up scheduled for 3/27, 10:30AM-Noon @ the Town Hall.
    5. Spring programs?  Discussed some ideas:  Jewelry workshop, paint & sip, basket weaving, performer(s).  Six Flags is only offering online consignment tickets this season, with our online sales being so low it’s not worth it for us to run the program (as per SFNE).
    6. Summer programs?
  9. Memos.
  10. Old Business.   Patricia will contact Berkshire South again for the swim program status.
  11. New Business.  Replenishing of Town Beach sand was approved at the recent Conservation Commission meeting.  Need approval paperwork from Conservation first, then Patricia will work with the Maintenance & Highway Departments.
  12. Adjourn.





Meeting adjourned at: 6:47PM.

Respectfully submitted by: Patricia Richard.

Submitted to Town Clerk.