School Committee Meeting Minutes 09/10/2018

Farmington River Regional School District

Farmington River Elementary School

555 North Main Road, Otis, MA 01253

Wednesday September 10, 2018

Minutes #365


Members Present:  Nicholas DellaGiustina, Jessica Drenga, Hillary Howard, Carol Lombardo, Billie Pachulski, John Skrip, Arlene Tolopko, and Thomas Nadolny


Absent:  Eric Jesner


Guests:  Rebecca Hamill and Laurie Flower


Call to order:  The meeting was called to order at 7:00 P.M. by Nicholas DellaGiustina.


  1. Approval of Minutes #364: Nick motioned to accept minutes #364 Arlene seconded the motion.  Vote unanimous.                                            


  1. Out of District Busing: School Committee tabled the article due to unavailability of requestor.


  1. Principal/Superintendent monthly updates on school and staffing:  Tom wanted to see if we need a policy or procedure to deal with open seats on the Pre-School van.  We had a lottery with interested parents, which worked out fine, but in the future we should have something set in place to refer to.  Tom to follow up next month.


Christine McArthur resigned as our 6th Grade Teacher.  Tom was lucky enough to get a call from James Foster, a teacher from Southern Berkshire School District.  Very experienced and well recommended.  James was hired for the 6th Grade Teacher.  Tom hired a new Music Teacher, Michael Flower.  Michael also comes highly recommended.  He subbed in Lee Middle and High School last year.  Both Michael and James will be a great addition to our staff.


Attendance is roughly 115 students as of right now.  We may have 3 more students starting in the next couple of weeks as well.


Tom thanked the Otis Observer for writing an article on the Blizzard Bags.  It was well written and we have gotten such positive feedback from the article.


  1. School Committee to vote to raise the adult/Teacher prices for breakfast and lunch: School Committee voted to raise the adult/Teacher lunch by $0.10 for lunch.  Lunch is now $3.45.  Nick motioned to accept the $0.10 raise.  Unanimous vote of yes.


  1. School Committee to vote on van space for students: As discussed above, Tom is going to research which should be better to administer, a policy or a procedure.  The vote will be taken next month.


  1. Financial update: Eric Jesner was not available for this evening’s meeting.  He will update the School Committee next month.


  1. Hillary Howard handed informed the Committee that she is resigning.


  1. No Executive Meeting needed.


  1. Adjournment: Carol Lombardo motioned to adjourn the meeting.  Arlene Tolopko seconded the motion.  School Committee ended at 7:34PM




Respectively Submitted,



Teresa DellaGiustina

Assistant to the Superintendent