Otis Library Board Meeting – September Minutes
Thursday, September 13, 2018, Full Board – 6:30
The meeting was called to order by Diane Dyer, Chair at 6:32 PM. Members present included: James Adams, Kathy Bort, Diane Dyer Susan Ebitz, Jane Feldman, Lois Hall, Eve Kummel and Celeste Watman. Walter Engels was absent.
The July and August minutes were accepted after being amended.
Treasurers report: July accepted report was available, September’s report was tabled until October meeting
ATTENDANCE: Decreasing by about ¼ we estimate it will decrease by ½ after 10/ 9 Columbus Day
Gone down proportionately
DVD’s and Audiobooks still popular
PROGRAMS: Summer recap
# of Children’s programs 8
# of Special Presentations
# Technology programs 11
# Trivia Contests 7
FALL: Boy Scouts met September 12
Girl Scouts will meet September 19
Computer Workshop has been rescheduled for September 20 – Cloud Management
Art Reception FRRS students – September 18
Art Exhibit October Katie Flynn from the Riverbrook Residence
Halloween Trick or Treat October 26 5-7,
ARIS Reporting: Holdings
TOTAL In house 10,310
Downloadable Audio 15531
Downloadable Video 1236
HOLDINGS TOTAL 102,839
CIRCULATION ON SITE 17,437
ILL IN 2,666
MAR Municipal Appropriation Requirement 63,624
TAMI Total Appropriated Municipal Income 63,664
Materials Expenditure 18,350
Technology for Direct Patron Use 3,297
The library is 100% compliance because the library is open to all residents, there is no charge for normal Library Services, kept open a minimum number of hours per week (10) with some evening hours for a total of no less than 22 hours a week, Director Kathleen Bort – college graduate with Library Certificate # S4900, the library lends books and other materials to other libraries, nonresident circulation is reported, and professional development and certification of staff.
WINTER GOALS: Weeding the collection due to space and organizing File Management and Archives
Old Business –
- Election of officers was tabled until more trustees can be in attendance.
- Celeste, Eve, and Jane shared that the accessory sale earned $523 at the Cultural Council Labor Day sale for nearly $1000 in revenue
- Art Hanging – Lois spoke to Jimmy Crandall and the work can be completed soon. Jane and Lois will order it. The price is expected to be $685.
New Business –
- Celeste shared and distributed The Otis Library & Museum Policies in a notebook to all members, she will make further additions by November
- There was discussion concerning moving items to other areas of the library for safety and aesthetics. These items include bins and a filing cabinet. Kathy explained the library needs.
- The Otis Library & Museum Five Year Plan was reexamined. Celeste offered to work on the website and a subcommittee was formed consisting of Celeste, Jim, and Bill. (Celeste’s husband)
- Jim asked about digitalizing the collection of artifacts in the museum and offered to evaluate the items worth preserving in this way in response to Kathy’s suggestion. Susan suggested that Diane Lynch also be consulted, and Jane offered to work with James on this project.
- Kathy suggested that there was money through MBLC for construction loans. Eve thanked everyone for their efforts.
- Celeste presented an article from the newspaper detailing the profits that the Lenox Library made from its recent book sale and suggested the library consider doing one. Susan made a motion, which was seconded by Jane to table until further study is possible.
A motion was made and seconded to adjourn the meeting. Meeting Adjourned at 8:13 PM.
Susan Ebitz, Recording Secretary
Next Meeting: October 11, 2018, 6:30
November 8, 2018, December 13, 2018, January 10, 2019, February 14, 2019, March 14, 2019, April 11, 2019, May 9, 2019, June 13, 2019