Otis Library Museum Meeting
Thursday, October 10, 2019
7:00 PM – at the library
Members present -Celeste, Diane, Donna, James, Jane, Kathy, Lois, Sue B., and Susan E.
Chair Diane Dyer called the meeting to order at 7:10.
The September Minutes were approved as amended with Celeste making the motion seconded by Jane. Susan B. gave the Treasurer’s Report which was approved with Susan E. making a motion that was seconded by Jane.
Director’s Report: submitted by Kathleen Bort
- Attendance circulation is decreasing with an average of 25 – 30 people a day, many patrons have left for the season
- Circulation mostly bestsellers, DVD’s, and Audiobooks
- Museum passes are still very popular
- Delivery includes 50% patron requests, 50% of our materials are being borrowed
- LEGO Club has started. We will use money remaining from children’s programs to add LEGO’s to the collection and are looking for more donations
- Art Exhibit by Evelyn Garvey and reception was well-attended. From November through January art created by Farmington River Regional School students will be displayed with a reception and musical performance taking place sometime during the week of December 16th.
- Book Giveaway during the months of October & November, the weeding process is finished
- Halloween – During Trick or treat on November 1, Kerry will distribute Friendly’s children coupon & free books.
- State Workshop on the status of Women was originally scheduled here on October 24th from 5-7 but was moved to Gt. Barrington as it is a more central location.
- Computer assistance sessions changed to November 9th and 21st.
- Thanksgiving hours: On Wednesday, November 27th, the library will close at 1:00 PM, it will be closed on Thanksgiving Day and reopen on Friday the 29th.
- Winter Hours are in effect: Wednesday and Friday 10:00 – 5:00 PM, Thursday from 11:00 to 6:00 PM and Saturday from 9:00 – 1:00 PM.
- APPLICATION FOR COMPLIANCE SUBMITTED on August 30,2019
Paid Family Leave-
- Patti is working on a glitch in our withholding taxes for Unemployment taxes. As a nonprofit we should not be paying unemployment taxes. All the paperwork to change our status from contributary to reimbursable has been completed. Once the status is changed it seems we will not have to comply with FMLA legislation. However, at this time it seems that this status may not be changed until January 2020. This would mean having to pay the last quarter of 2019 FMLA deductions. We will update as soon as we know.
Sue B. made a motion that was seconded by Susan E. to accept the Director’s Report as written. The motion passed unanimously.
- Donna Rich was unanimously approved and welcomed as the seventh trustee of the Otis Library and Museum Inc.
- The Technology subcommittee met to discuss the changes proposed by the Town concerning the maintenance of the library’s computers. There were numerous concerns with the proposed changes and how these changes would impact our patrons. The Board unanimously agreed to continue engaging the services of John Charrow for both maintenance and technology instruction. Celeste will write a letter informing members of the Selectboard, and Larry Gould, Chair of the Technology Committee that will be delivered by Diane.
- FY 2020 Budget – A subcommittee was formed to examine the discrepancy in funds between what the town appropriates for the library and the expenses the library actually incurs. Members of this subcommittee include Celeste, Sue Brofman, and Susan Ebitz. They will meet this month and report back to the full board.
- A motion was made by Susan that was seconded by Sue. to begin our monthly meetings at 6:00 PM during the winter. This passed unanimously.
- Celeste shared her proposal for a “Welcome Otis” Kit. Kathy shared that both Lyn, (Town Clerk) and Patricia (Rec Dept.) have a packet that is already available at Town Hall. The Board was delighted to hear this and discussed ways that we could help with distribution.
- Kathy brought up that we need to add Sue Brofman to the Berkshire Bank paperwork as Treasurer of the Otis Library and Museum.
- Kathy reported that some vendors are already asking about the date for the Library Fair. Susan will request that the date: Saturday, July 11th from 10:00 – 3:00 be put on the calendar.
The motion to adjourn was made by Jim and seconded by Celeste at 8:39 PM.
Susan Ebitz, Recording Secretary
Next Meeting: November 14, 2019 6:00 PM
Future Meetings: Please don’t schedule speakers on our regularly meeting nights
December 12, 2019
January 9, 2020 – agenda items due: 1/6/20
February 13, 2020 – agenda items due:2/10/20
March 12, 2020 – agenda items due: 3/9/20
April 9, 2020 – agenda items due: 4/6/20
May 14, 2020 – agenda items due: 5/11/20
June 11, 2020 – agenda items due: 6/8/20