TOWN OF OTIS
6/20/2017 MEETING MINUTES
Location: Otis Town Hall, One North Main Road, Otis
Conservation Commission Members present: Roger Meyer, Jeff Laramy, Bruce Wall and Renee Dube.
Conservation Commission Members absent: Domenic Battista and Dave Sarnacki
Staff and others present: Kristen Brown Secretary; Bob Mason with MA DCR; David Donahue; Mark Paulson; Russ Sackett; Arthur Weiss; Josh Perry.
Opening items/Introduction of Commission members and staff. Dave Sarnacki opened the meeting at 6:00 p.m. He noted that the meeting is being recorded. The deadline for applications for the July 18th meeting is July 5, 2017 @ 6:00 PM. The next office hours, for the July meeting, is July 5th from 6:00 – 9:00 PM. Dave introduced the members of the commission, as well as Bob Mason with MA DCR, and asked everyone to turn off/down their cell phones for the duration of the meeting. Jeff also noted that our chairman Dave Sarnacki was not in attendance, so Jeff would serve as acting chair in his absence.
Minutes: Jeff made a motion to approve the minutes from our May 17, 2017 meeting; RM 2nd the motion and the commission voted unanimously to approve the minutes from the May 17, 2017 meeting.
- Public Hearing – RDA – Submitted by Foresight Land Services, Inc., on behalf of Kevin & Jacqueline Wyman, 66 Mallard Lane, map 11 lot 95, regarding the application for issuance of a MASS DEP Chapter 91 Waterways License, to permit existing dock. Jeff opened this hearing and invited applicants to address the commission. Jeff asked the commission if any questions stemming from the site inspection, and there was none, since this RDA is simply to license current docks. Jeff made a motion for a -3 determination with the condition that OCC reserves the right to inspect property for 3 years from date of approval; RM 2nd the motion and the commission voted unanimously for a -3 determination with the above conditions.
- Public Hearing – RDA – Submitted by Mark Paulson, on behalf of Barbara Paulson, 20 South Gate Island Road, map 17C lot 5, regarding the removal of a 30” Maple tree that is dying/dead, in the BZ of OR. Jeff opened this hearing and invited applicants to address the commission. Jeff asked if any questions stemming from the site inspection and the only question was if the stump was going to be cut flush with the ground, or dug out. Per Mark, the tree would be cut flush with the ground, and stump will stay as is. Jeff asked if any other questions, being none, Jeff made a motion for a -3 determination with the following conditions: Vegetable oil only in chainsaw(s); no heavy equipment in the resource area, debris to be removed immediately; OCC reserves the right to inspect property for 3 years from date of approval; BW 2nd the motion and the commission voted unanimously to issue a -3 determination with the above conditions.
- Public Hearing – RDA – Submitted by Sackett Survey Services, Inc., on behalf of Arthur K. Weise, 767 Algerie Road, map12A lot 35, regarding the installation of an aluminum dock structure, and application for a chapter 91 Waterway License, on Big Pond. Jeff opened this hearing and invited the applicants to address the commission. Arthur Weiss was in attendance for this hearing. Kristen indicated that a check was due for the legal notice fee, and Arthur indicated it was sent in the mail, which Kristen located and OK’d check receipt. Jeff asked if any other questions and Roger asked if dock would sit on the bottom of lake and yes, it would. Mainly, filing to put in to comply with the application process for chapter 91. Jeff made a motion for a -3 determination with the following conditions: No heavy equipment in the resource area; no digging or dredging in the resource area; OCC reserves the right to inspect property for 3 years from date of approval. RM 2nd the motion and the commission voted unanimously to issue a -3 determination with the above conditions.
- Public Hearing – NOI – Continuation – Submitted by Solitude Lake Management, on behalf of Jim Strauss, MASS DCR, Otis Reservoir, Maps 17, 17A-D, 18A, 16, 16B-C, 15, 15B-C, regarding the aquatic management program, to control the non-native plant growth utilizing treatment with state registered aquatic herbicides. Jeff opened this hearing and invited applicant to address the commission. Josh Perry was in attendance, and since this project was reviewed in full at the last commission meeting, and subsequently continued to allow for NH/ESP and MESA to return their respective findings, the commission is ready to vote. Jeff made a motion to approve and issue an order of conditions for this NOI with the standard conditions; RM 2nd the motion and the commission voted unanimously to approve and issue the order of conditions, with standard conditions.
- Normand & Elayne LeBeau, 61/67 North Gate Island Road, map 17C lots 19 & 30, regarding the unapproved work and/or alteration of the BZ of the OR; work done in the area that which under OOC issued for DEP File 254-0280, special condition 28, was supposed to stay vegetative buffer. Jeff invited owners to address the commission, Elayne LeBeau was not in attendance for this hearing, with no email to state why. The commission discussed, and Jeff made a motion for Kristen to compose a certified letter, demanding homeowners presence at the July meeting, to account and answer to the status of this enforcement order. BW 2nd the motion and the commission voted unanimously for Kristen to send a demand to appear letter to owner, for demand to attend meeting in July.
Forest Cutting Plans:
Extensions of Orders of Condition:
- DEP File OOC 254-0287 – Request to extend this approved OOC, in order to complete the approved dock installation that was not done yet. Jeff opened this hearing and invited Dave Donahue to approach the commission. Per Dave, nothing is different at all from the original approval, he simply needs more time to complete the dock construction, so requests a 3 year extension to do so, and will complete this during draw down of OR. Jeff made a motion to extend this OOC for an additional 3 years; RM 2nd the motion and the commission voted unanimously to approve the extension of this OOC.
Certificate of Compliance Requests:
- Gregory Doot – review with Commission; subject unknown. Dave opened this item, and Greg was not in attendance so Dave closed this item, without prejudice.
- Review of the Commission’s need of an agent KB – postponed until next meeting in July 2017.
- Discuss and review trees removed on Otis Town property, allegedly by Peter Pappas, which was forwarded to the Otis Selectmen. Discuss commissioner FU with Otis BOS/Town Manager, for update. All set, on this agenda in error – removed per discussion was handled last month.
Next office hours: Wednesday, July 5, 2017 from 6-9 p.m. at Otis Town Hall.
Next meeting: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 at 6:00 p.m. at Otis Town Hall. Meeting adjourned at 6:52 PM.