TOWN OF OTIS
5/17/2017 MEETING MINUTES
Location: Otis Town Hall, One North Main Road, Otis
Conservation Commission Members present: Dave Sarnacki, Roger Meyer, Jeff Laramy, Bruce Wall, Domenic Battista and Renee Dube.
Conservation Commission Members absent: None
Staff and others present: Kristen Brown Secretary; Bob Mason with MA DCR; Chris Tryon (with Berkshire Geo-Technologies); Josh Perry;
Opening items/Introduction of Commission members and staff. Dave Sarnacki opened the meeting at 6:00 p.m. He noted that the meeting is being recorded. The deadline for applications for the June 20th meeting is June 7, 2017 @ 3:00 PM. The next office hours, for the June meeting, is June 7th from 6:00 – 9:00 PM. Dave introduced the members of the commission, as well as Bob Mason with MA DCR, and asked everyone to turn off/down their cell phones for the duration of the meeting.
Minutes: Dave made a motion to approve the minutes from our April 2017 meeting; RM 2nd the motion and the commission voted unanimously to approve the minutes from the April 2017 meeting.
- Public Hearing – NOI – Submitted by Solitude Lake Management, on behalf of Jim Strauss, MASS DCR, Otis Reservoir, Maps 17, 17A-D, 18A, 16, 16B-C, 15, 15B-C, regarding the aquatic management program, to control the non-native plant growth utilizing treatment with state registered aquatic herbicides. Dave opened this hearing and invited applicant(s) to address the commission. Josh Perry, with Solitude lake Management was in attendance for applicant, MASS DCR Lakes and Ponds Division. Josh review the project in special depth to the commission, and those present in the meeting that were interested and prompted to attend by the abutter notification for this project. Josh outlined the specific areas of Otis Reservoir that would be targeted for the invasive species management, and he also indicated that their company is licensed to apply the chemical treatments, and that the chemical treatments themselves are state certified as safe, and appropriate for use in this manner. Dave indicated that we are still waiting for NH/ESH and MESA to respond with their findings, before we can close the public hearing. Therefore, Josh asked for a continuance until the June meeting to allow for the determinations to come back from applicable departments. Dave made a motion to continue this hearing until the June 20th 2017 meeting; JL 2nd the motion and the commission voted unanimously to continue this hearing until the June 20, 2017 meeting.
- Public Hearing – RDA– Continuation – Submitted by Berkshire Geo-Technologies, on behalf of Henry & Elaine Palach, 50 South Lake Ave., map 18 lot 2, regarding the replacement of a hydraulic piston on existing boat ramp & issuance of chapter 91 license for existing dock(s). Dave opened the hearing and asked the commission if there were any issues stemming from site inspection – none being identified, Dave made a motion for a -3 determination with the following conditions: No heavy equipment in the resource area; OCC reserves the right to inspect property for 3 years from date of approval. BW 2nd the motion and the commission voted unanimously to issue a -3 determination with the above conditions.
- Normand & Elayne LeBeau, 61/67 North Gate Island Road, map 17C lots 19 & 30, regarding the unapproved work and/or alteration of the BZ of the OR; work done in the area that which under OOC issued for DEP File 254-0280, special condition 28, was supposed to stay vegetative buffer. Dave invited owners to address the commission, Elayne LeBeau was in attendance and addressed the commission. She was not aware that any work was done without prior permission, and believes that she has the paperwork for the fence(s) and for the work done in the BZ. Elayne asked for another continuance via email so that she her professional, Sackett Services, could perform a new survey, as well as a proposal to vegetate the buffer by the seawall. Bob Mason indicated that the state wanted the structures removed – appears that there is now a fire-pit on state property as well. Bob is going to review with his division and take further action to remove structures from state property. Dave made a motion to continue this hearing until the June 2017 meeting to see what applicant’s professional proposes. RM 2nd the motion and the commission voted unanimously to continue this hearing until the June 20th, 2017 meeting.
Forest Cutting Plans:
Extensions of Orders of Condition:
Certificate of Compliance Requests:
- Review of the Commission’s need of an agent – postponed until all commissioners present per motion by Dave, and unanimous vote.
- Discuss Special Conditions for RDA and NOI Filings, follow up paperwork to be provided to the commission for their review. Postponed until all commissioners present, per motion by Dave, and unanimous vote.
- Discuss and review trees removed on Otis Town property, allegedly by Peter Pappas, which was forwarded to the Otis Selectmen. Dave made a motion to pass this along to the selectmen, and out of our hands – is a town matter; RM 2nd the motion and the commission voted unanimously to pass this along to the select board.
Next office hours: Wednesday, June 7, 2017 from 6-9 p.m. at Otis Town Hall.
Next meeting: Tuesday, June 20, 2017 at 6:00 p.m. at Otis Town Hall. Meeting adjourned at 7:22 PM.