Otis Technology Committee
Minutes for Meeting of
May 15, 2017
Otis Town Hall Conference Room
Meeting called to order at 6:00 pm in the Town Hall Conference Room, is being recorded, and a quorum is present.
Present: Bill Hiller, Frank Tolopko, Laurie Flower, Larry Gould, and Lisa D’Orazio
Absent: George Mabee
Others Present: Bob Rosen, Lyn O’Brien
Approval of Meeting Minutes: The April 18, 2017 Technology meeting minutes were unanimously approved as written.
Reappointments: Laurie, Frank, Bill, and Lisa turned their reappointment paperwork in for FY2018.
Hardware Purchases: We will be purchasing computers for the Police Dept., Lisa, Heather, Lyn, the Fire Dept., Town Clerk, and for Derek in this fiscal year. Heather’s old computer will then go to the Assessors’.
Otis Website Updates: The NoticeOtis website is now a moot point. The Police Dept. goes to a google webpage and should be incorporated into the new website. The draft version of the new Town of Otis website looks real good. Bobby is ready to set up training for Lyn and Lisa. Discussed who needs update capability for new website besides Lyn and Lisa.
Broadband Updates: The mock up of OtisFiber.com looks good. The pre-bid construction meeting for the RFP terms and conditions will be May 17 in Westfield. The bids are due May 30th but that may be extended another week. We hope to have accurate construction costs at the end of the month. We are getting a price per foot for trenching the Woodlands and putting in conduit and running fiber there. This will not include the cost of individual drops. The East Otis hut is part of Phase 1 and needs to be complete before August 1st.When make ready is complete for Phase 1 (we expect that to be Aug. 1st) then Phase 1 construction can begin. We will be moving a 40 foot trailer for storage up to the East Otis Fire House in June. We expect to be purchasing electronics for the East Otis hut in July. The fiber hut in Otis Center is expected to be built around Phase 4 timeframe.
Axia, the company operating the broadband middle mile, is going bankrupt but Governor Baker is forcing them to remain in business. Because of this, backhaul costs are unknown. Electronics will still need to be depreciated, but depreciation for the actual fiber has been discontinued by Gov. Baker. We are looking at seasonal rates, senior rates, and possible alarm services for nominal fees, but this is still undetermined. A letter needs to be going out to residents soon explaining services.
The meeting was unanimously adjourned at 6:47 pm.
Lisa D’Orazio, recording secretary
Town of Otis Technology Committee
List of Documents
- A copy of Lyn’s email requesting we eliminate NoticeOtis will be filed with these meeting minutes.
- A copy of Lyn’s email setting up future training will be filed with these meeting minutes.
- A copy of the updated Intergovernmental Agreement Pole Survey and Fiber Design between Westfield Gas & Electric and the Town of Otis Municipal Light Plant will be filed with these meeting minutes.
- A copy of the Technology budget and actual expenditures so far will be filed with these meeting minutes.
- A copy of the Lenovo ThinkCentre computers we plan to purchase from CSS Ventures will be filed with these meeting minutes.
- A copy of the draft version of the OtisFiber.com website will be filed with these meeting minutes.
- A copy of the draft version of the new website screen shots will be filed with these meeting minutes.
- A copy of the email from Bill regarding Library VoIP telephones will be filed with these meeting minutes.