May 16, 2019, Thursday @ 6:00PM
Harmony Hall, 70 North Main Road, Otis, MA
Meeting called by & time: Kathy Carroll, 6:25PM.
Meeting facilitated by: Kathy Carroll.
Board Members Present: Kathy Carroll, Bill Dyer, Dana Pustinger.
Board Members Absent: Mary Adams.
Others Present: Patricia Richard, Program Supervisor.
- Introductions. None needed.
- Review & approval of Meeting Minutes. Reviewed & approved 2/28/19.
- Commissioner resignation. Mary Adams submitted her resignation letter 5/16/19 effective immediately.
- FY20 Budget Proposal. Reminder — Town Meeting scheduled for 5/21/19.
- Town Accountant Reports. Reviewed. Requested deposit report from Karen, not received yet.
- Rec Center Reports. Reviewed, on target for the remainder of the fiscal year.
- Community Day/Celebration Committee – activities, involvement. 6/22/19, Saturday. Sup ‘N Swing, music, dancing & food/drink available for purchase. Event scheduled to start 6:00PM @ Town Hall Park. Rec would like to see it during the day time so there could possibly be some family/kid activities.
- MRPA Conference. Patricia provided an update on the workshops, networking, vendors, etc.
- Rec Center.
- Office computer. No backup on the computer being used for the access system.
- New Office computer. Patricia explained that the new computer was not set up to back up when it was recently set up, it’s all set.
- Planning Board meeting regarding Harmony Hall 9/17/18. No update.
- Building Sub Committee. Meeting scheduled for 5/23/19, 5:00PM Town Hall.
- AED Unit. Rec will be receiving the Police Department’s unit once their new units have arrived. Patricia inquired about who services the units on an annual basis? Dan Hamill, Police Chief, will include Rec’s unit with his annual servicing of the units.
- All Board’s update. None submitted this month.
- Welcome Packets. Kathy will put together the information – only received info from COA, Town Clerk & Otis Fiber.
- Flower barrels. We have replacement barrels. New soil & flowers will be picked up by Patricia, for reimbursement.
- Staff. Reviewed cleaning/disinfecting schedule. Needs to be done on a weekly basis this time of year. Find out if Tom is still available weekly. The Movie license has not been renewed due to low attendance for some time, update Tom.
- Programs/Project Proposals.
- Basket Weaving Workshop. Went very well. Participants would like to have another workshop in the Fall.
- Bus Trip. Possibly in the Fall? Some ideas: Gillette Castle, Dino Place, Howe Caverns, Riverboat cruise.
- Easter Egg Hunt. Bunny costume. Rec will offer to dry clean bunny costume when needed after use.
- HIIT – project proposal – Heather Bilotta. Approved.
- Kayak program. Will need to wait for Town Meeting regarding budget proposal which includes this program. Will need to order life jackets, post job for kayak attendant (min age 19, as per Rec Comm), minimum age to use kayak with adult/guardian is age 12.
- Library Fair, Performer, bike helmets, car seat check. Discussed locations and voted to have Rec activities at the Town Hall. Motion, Kathy, Second, Bill & Dana, unanimous vote to have activities at Town Hall.
- Paint & Sip. Discussed. Rec will pay ½ for Otis participants, Non-Otis participants will pay full amount.
- Pittsfield Suns. Discussed. This offering is similar to the Six Flags tickets, a community courtesy. Tickets cost Rec $4/each, it was decided tickets will be $2/each to the public.
- Six Flags. Update – Tickets received, info will be posted soon. General admission, season passes & food vouchers are offered at discounts to the community.
- Springfield Thunderbirds. Discussed. Approval – to purchase 12 (minimum) at $18/each, valid for the current season only, no rollover to next season. Available to the community to purchase for $18/each.
- Swim Instructor, Assistant to Swim Instructor. One possible applicant for instructor– does not have her WSI certification [yet] and plans to take the course. Reviewed applicants for the assistant to the swim instructor, one qualified applicant. This position is dependent on filling the Swim Instructor position. Patricia will notify the applicant to find out if they are still interested.
- Swim Lessons.
- Tai Chi/Qigong. Discussed. This class will not be renewed for the Fall. One factor has been low attendance for months in addition to issues with the instructor. Patricia will communicate with the instructor.
- Town Beach.
- Sand – replenish. Patricia submitted a draft of the DEP RDA to Becky for review.
- Play ship – mulch. Patricia submitted a draft of the DEP RDA to Becky for review.
- Yoga/Ayurveda Study sessions. Going well, good attendance.
- Youth Obstacle Challenge. Scheduled for 8/3/19, Saturday. Will discuss details at next month’s meeting.
- Old Business. Essential Oils workshop has been rescheduled to 9/20/19.
- New Business. Discussed 7/6/19 Library Fair Rec Center activities. Order 100 helmets based on ski helmet distribution.
Meeting adjourned at: 8:30PM.
Respectfully submitted by: Patricia Richard.
Submitted to Town Clerk.