June 25, 2019, Thursday @ 6:00PM
Harmony Hall, 70 North Main Road, Otis, MA
Meeting called by & time: Kathy Carroll, 6:07PM.
Meeting facilitated by: Kathy Carroll.
Board Members Present: Kathy Carroll, Bill Dyer, Dana Pustinger.
Board Members Absent:
Others Present: Patricia Richard, Program Supervisor; Guests: Jen Catolane, Lisa Gutmanis, Mary Adams.
- Introductions. See “others present” list. Rec Comm moved #7P to the beginning of the meeting. Both Liga & Mary explained how important Tai Chi/Qigong is to their health/wellness and would like to know why Rec has cancelled this class for the Fall. It was explained that this class has had low participation for quite some time…for months there has only been three or four people attending in addition to instructor issues. Liga & Mary stated that two new people just started attending the class. Rec classes/workshops, etc. need a minimum number of participants in order to run. Rec discussed the possibility of a replacement instructor as well as inviting the current instructor to another Rec meeting.
- Review & approval of Meeting Minutes. None.
- FY20 Budget. Patricia will prepare the worksheets for Jen for review once she’s sworn in.
- Town Accountant Reports. None. Reviewed finalized budget sheets received from Select Board Office.
- Rec Center Reports.
- Update on new Town Accounting software. No update on access or training yet.
- Rec Center.
- Planning Board meeting regarding Harmony Hall 9/17/18. No update.
- Building Sub Committee. No update.
- AED Unit. No update.
- All Board’s update. None.
- Exercise equipment repairs. Complete.
- Programs/Project Proposals.
- Select Board policy on new programs. As per 5/29/19 Select Board meeting: Rec Center: Patricia Richard inquired what the protocol is regarding new future Rec programs that are not in the current budget. Bill [Hiller] explained that when the initial budget has been approved and there are changes later on in any fiscal year that the Board would like to see what new programs are scheduled and the cost of each new program. If there are cancellations and new programs introduced, they would also like to know specific programs that haven’t already been included in the line items. Patricia asked if this also included the revolving Rec account specifically set up for fees. Patricia also updated the Board on the swim instructor position and their certification status. Bill suggested that Rec consider pushing swim lessons to August and perhaps doing some morning lessons, if their swim instructor needs more time to be certified. There was discussion on different ways to alter the schedule, if necessary. Patricia discussed the town beach sand, as well, regarding contacting the DEP to replenish the sand.
- Basket Weaving Workshop. Scheduled 11/16/19, Saturday, 9AM-5PM @ Wendy’s Studio.
- Bus Trip. Patricia inquired with the COA to find out who they use for bus trips.
- Essential Oils Workshop. Has been rescheduled to 9/6/19.
- HIIT – project proposal – Heather Bilotta. Update – Heather’s schedule has changed therefore she is not available to instruct on Monday evenings.
- Intuitive Painting Workshop. Scheduled for 7/26/19, Friday, 2:00-4:00PM @ Town Hall. Viktoria Seavey instructor.
- Kayak program. No applicants yet.
- Library Fair, Performer, bike helmets, car seat check. After further discussion, it was decided that the Church Green would be a better location for Rec activities on 7/6/19. Permission from Congregation Church to cone/close off both ends of the driveway for safety, etc. Time on Church Green/driveway booked 8AM-3PM.
- Movie Night, license. Not renewed.
- Paint & Sip. Scheduled 11/3/19, Sunday, 2:00-4:00PM @ Town Hall. Need to select painting to determine cost per participant.
- Pittsfield Suns. Reviewed. Tickets will be available to the community for purchase $2/each.
- Six Flags. Available at the Rec Center and online at www.noticeotis.com
- Springfield Thunderbirds. Season is October through April.
- Swim Instructor, Assistant to Swim Instructor. No update.
- Swim Lessons. No update.
- Tai Chi/Qigong.
- Town Beach.
- Sand – replenish. Patricia attended the Conservation Commission meeting regarding the RDA submitted for the Town Beach sand, approved. Waiting on letter from Con Comm in order to proceed with project.
- Play ship – mulch.
- Yoga/Ayurveda Study sessions. Great turnout for these sessions. Discussed offering another series in the Fall.
- Youth Obstacle Challenge.
- Course setup/equipment. Tabled until next meeting.
- Age groups. Patricia suggested to slightly change the age groups to ages 3-6 & 7-10 due to hardly having any 11 & 12 year olds plus the course did not seem challenging enough for them. If event grows in the future can add more stations & difficulty level and possibly have older kids. Patricia will send the item list and map for review.
- Memos. None.
- Old Business.
- New Business.