Recreation Commission Meeting Minutes 01/21/2020

Printer friendly

Recreation Commission

January 21, 2020, Tuesday @ 6:00PM

Harmony Hall, 70 North Main Road, Otis, MA



Meeting called by & time:  Dana Pustinger, 6:10PM.

Meeting facilitated by:  Dana Pustinger.

Board Members Present: Dana Pustinger, Kathy Carroll, Jen Catolane.

Board Members Absent: Bill Dyer.

Others Present:  None.


  1. Introductions. None needed.
  2. Review & approval of Meeting Minutes.  Reviewed & approved 10/29/19 minutes.
  3. Accounting.
    1. Town Accountant Reports.  None.  Reviewed payroll report from Brandi.
    2. Rec Center Reports.  Reviewed.
    3. Update on new Town Accounting software.  No update.
    4. Town Report.  Reviewed & approved 2019 draft.
    5. FY21 Budget.  Reviewed & revised – email revisions to Commission.  Budget due 2/6/20.
  1. Technology – park & rec software.
  2. Technology – camera & printer.
  • Technology – QuickBooks update.
  1. Rec Center.
    1. Planning Board meeting regarding Harmony Hall 9/17/18.  No update.
  2. Staff.   Discussed, will add contingency hours (program supervisor position) to FY21 budget proposal to cover meetings & events.  Currently, when there are meetings and events (70+ hours) office hours must be cut due to the allowance of hours for the fiscal year.  Contingency hours would allow the office to remain open normal business hours and for administrative work.
  3. Programs/Project Proposals.
    1. Sandisfield Recreation Committee.  Programming to be discussed:  bus trips, paint & sips, obstacle challenge, horse farm?
    2. Basket Weaving Workshop.  Went very well, participants are looking forward to another one.  Reviewed surveys, excellent.
    3. Bus Trip.  7/18/20 Howe Caverns, Rec sponsors 50% of fee for Otis residents/Otis taxpayers.  Non-Otis welcome to attend, full fee.  Sandisfield Rec co-sponsor their residents/taxpayers?
    4. Easter Egg Hunt.  4/4/20, Saturday, rain date 4/5/20.  New start time, 11AM.
    5. Gingerbread House Event.  Need more volunteers for set up and event.  Reviewed surveys – people loved the event but commented on the slowness and poor quality of the photo printer.  Will let Technology Committee know about the printer.  Discussed the idea of changing this event to a Sunday (11AM, 1PM, 3PM?) with setup on Saturday – this might allow more volunteers/help with the event.  We clean (and put away) after the event – tables, chairs, floor, kitchen, etc.  Maintenance currently has two small household size Swiffers to clean the gym floor which worked terribly.  Discussed the request/purchase of an industrial size Swiffer for the gym floor.
  1. Volunteers.
  2. Digital Camera, portable printer – request to Technology Committee.
    1. Guided Meditation.  Project proposal submitted by Viktoria Seavey, reviewed & discussed.  Run for 6-8 weeks as a trial, and would then be reviewed.  This class session would require registration, not a drop-in class.
    2. Paint & Sip.  Discussed a few different dates in May & June, Patricia will inquire with Berkshire Paint & Sip to find out what dates are available.  One adult program and one kid program.
    3. Ski Helmet Days – inventory.   1/11/20 – distributed about 35 helmets, checked 20 helmets.  $25 suggested donation.  Next helmet day scheduled for 2/22/20 @ Otis Ridge.  This program expense is paid out of the Rec donation account.
    4. Springfield Thunderbirds.  No discount tickets have been sold yet.  Discussed a few possible ideas to move them.
    5. Swim Lessons 2020.  Discussed & reviewed (again) the proposal submitted to Berkshire South, it will be included in the FY21 budget proposal, line items for the swim instructor and the assistant to the instructor will not be included in the budget proposal.
    6. Town Beach.
  1. Play Ship/Playground. Reviewed draft plans from Miracle Playground, discussed some revisions.  Patricia will contact the designer and request an updated quote.
  1. Memos.  State Ethics.
  2. Old Business.
  3. New Business. 1.  Obstacle Challenge tentatively scheduled for 8/1/20, Saturday.  2.  Library Fair scheduled 7/11/20, Saturday.  Rec would like to sponsor a performer & kid activities.  Kathy Bort (Library) will check with the Congregational Church to find out if the Church Green is available for use, no conflicts with different events for the Green, etc..  If a conflict, FRRSD was briefly discussed as an alternate location.  3.  Patricia is planning to attend the MRPA conference in March.  Dana (Chair) will let her know if she’s able to attend.  4.  Patricia inquired with a few CPR instructors in the area to get staff/commissioners re-certified as most are expiring June 2020.
  4. Adjourn.


Meeting adjourned at: 9:40PM.

Respectfully submitted by: Patricia Richard.

Submitted to Town Clerk.