Otis Library & Museum Meeting*
Thursday, February 11, 2021
* Meeting was conducted in accordance with the Massachusetts Open Meeting Law
Members present – James Adams, Kathy Bort, Sue Brofman, Diane Dyer, Lois Hall, Gloria Mamokhin, Susan Ebitz
Diane Dyer called the meeting to order at 5:07 PM.
Treasurer’s reports: Sue reported that the library had received the $3000 from the state. She also reported the FY2022 was submitted on time. Sue made a motion to pay John Charrow for services delivered from September through December 2020. It was passed unanimously. Donna made the motion to accept the Treasurer’s Report that was seconded by Gloria and approved unanimously.
Attendance/Circulation: Curbside Average 6-12 daily, Items returned 20 -30 weekly, Delivery 3 bins weekly, Phone 5-10 calls weekly.
Acquisitions: Books – 90, DVD’S 57
Currently we fund 15 passes.
In question are the passes funded by the rec center (which the Selectmen cut)
Amelia Park Ice Arena -recommend discontinuing.
Berkshire Botanical Garden – recommend purchase.
Hancock Shaker Village- recommend purchase.
Magic Wings- recommend referring to Cultural Council.
(Please see chart)
Susan made a motion, that was seconded by Gloria to approve staff recommendations concerning the purchase of museum passes. It passed unanimously.
Library Status Recommend Curbside through next meeting March 11, 2021.
Based on state & national data, variants, vaccines
Saturday Hours: During Curbside all pickups will be processed on Fridays. Pickups for Saturday will be put on the curbside cart at Friday’s closing. Kerry will put the cart out for pickups Saturday at 9:00 am and she will return and put the cart in at Saturday noon. This will be communicated to all pickups.
|Bidwell House Museum||$125||2||Yes|
|Norman Rockwell Museum||$200||5||Yes|
|Smith College Museum of Art||$100||1||No|
|Ventfort Hall Mansion||$100||2||Yes|
|Zoo in Forest Park||$250||2||No|
|Trustees of Reservations||$200||2||No|
|Clark Art Institute||Free||5||Yes|
|Mass Parks Pass||Free||3||Yes|
|USS Constitution Museum||Free||0||Yes|
|RECREATION HALL PASSES|
|Amelia Park Ice Arena||1||No|
|Berkshire Botanical Gardens||$180||5||Yes|
|Hancock Shaker Village||$250 *est.||5||Yes|
- Jim shared an update concerning the “Gofundme” campaign to recoup money spent for the air filtration system. Our contact is named Dominque.
- Donna shared details of the StoryWalk and using moving meditations to help participants feel centered and connect with nature and animals. Susan proposed an adult “Pop UP’ Poetry event to coincide with the full moon. Lois suggested a book of poems entitled “Once in a Full Moon” written by Carolinda Goodman, an author from West Stockbridge. The next StoryWalk and “Pop-Up’ Poetry event is scheduled for Saturday, February 27 beginning at 7:00 PM.
- Susan E. gave an update on LTC “Diversity Grant,” reporting that she has completed three of the required seminars, that several members of the board were active and attending “Diverse Otis” meetings and updated the Trustees on what has been accomplished.
- Sue B. representing Diverse Otis asked the library board permission to place a “Not in Our County” Stop Hate. Together. Berkshire sign at the library. The motion was made and passed unanimously. Sue B. then requested $400 to cover the cost of signs, buttons and flyers for this campaign. Gloria explained that each line item budgeted in the grant could not be adjusted 10% in either direction. Kathy pointed out that the spirit of the grant was to cover print materials. Diverse Otis would like to print a brochure, and this was an item that could be purchased by the grant. Susan shared that there was $600 earmarked for a “Community Read” book to be chosen by Diverse Otis.
- Diane suggested that the library host some gardening workshops on Zoom. The idea was well-received with several suggestions offered for facilitators. Diane will pursue this option. She also invited other ideas.
- Kathy reported their computers did not have a camera and that she and Patty were looking into tech.
- Jim offered to fill Gloria in on the chronology related to the library and tech providers.
The motion to adjourn the regular meeting was made by Susan and seconded by Sue at 6:25 PM.
Susan Ebitz, Recording Secretary