October 4, 2018, Thursday @ 6:30PM
Harmony Hall, 70 North Main Road, Otis, MA
Meeting called by & time: Kathy Carroll, 6:48PM.
Meeting facilitated by: Kathy Carroll.
Board Members Present: Kathy Carroll, Bill Dyer, Dana Pustinger. (Bill left 8:05PM)
Board Members Absent: Mary Adams.
Others Present: Patricia Richard, Program Supervisor.
- Introductions. None needed.
- Review & approval of Meeting Minutes. Reviewed & approved July 2018, July 2018 executive session & August 2018.
- Town Accountant Reports. Received reports, but was not just Rec, was cumulative of town departments. Will request individual Rec reports.
- Rec Center Reports. Reviewed.
- Accounting program. Update on new accounting software – will have viewing & printing capabilities of our department accounts/entries. Bill Hiller explained he will change the current program breakdown report (in Excel) to report cumulative totals as this information cannot be entered/recorded in the new software.
- Rec Center.
- QuickBooks issues.
- Email issues.
- Planning Board meeting regarding Harmony Hall 9/17/18. Input from the community ranged from keeping Harmony Hall to tearing it down. Some ideas from the community for Harmony Hall were housing a visitor’s center, the museum, an art gallery. An estimate of maintenance/repair expenses was distributed. No update on further discussion by the Planning Board or the next step.
- Weight Room status. No update.
- AED Unit. No update.
- All Board’s update. Reviewed.
- Southern Berkshire Chamber of Commerce. Update – Betsy Andrus (SBCC) explained that they hope to have an info booth in Otis with brochures, etc. showcasing South County.
- Staff. Tom Soules will continue as Movie Night Supervisor. Deana Ray has been classified as an employee. Essential Oils workshop is tentatively scheduled for the springtime.
- Programs/Project Proposals.
- Essential Oils Workshop.
- Gingerbread House Event. Discussed, will try to order most supplies online. 12/7 set up, 12/8 event, three sessions.
- Glass Blowing Workshop. Update – Peter Greenwood will not invoice us and requires a non-refundable deposit, as well as payment day of the event, discussed – not going forward with workshop. It was suggested to contact Ozzie’s in South Lee about this possible workshop.
- Halloween. Rec will be purchasing candy & flashlights for trick or treat.
- Jewelry Workshop – rescheduled. Workshop was rescheduled to 10/12/18, have not met minimum required to run the workshop yet, reg closing date next week.
- Joints & Glands Class. Waiting on instructor’s availability.
- Maple Corner Farm. Not offering this coming season.
- Movie license. Movie night scheduled for 10/5/18 & 10/19/18.
- Otis Ski Ridge. All set with free lift tix & rentals for the upcoming season.
- Town Beach.
- Sand – replenish? This topic was included on a recent Rec All Board’s update memo. It was discussed and the Select Board determined that Rec is responsible for this project, not the Maintenance or Highway Departments. Approximate sand needed to replenish original footprint is 50 tons.
- Play ship – mulch? This topic was included on a recent Rec All Board’s update memo. It was discussed and the Select Board determined that Rec is responsible for this project, not the Maintenance or Highway Departments.
- Town Hall Kitchen. Usage permitted only for non-profit use only, instructor cannot be paid, as per Select Board. Rec will not be able to use the kitchen for classes/workshops.
- Zumba. Instructor not available.
- Old Business.
- New Business. 1. Patricia noted that she inquired with Karen Fink, Treasurer, about the purchase of ski helmets. What account can we pay for the helmets where the donations collected would be deposited back in a Rec account for next year’s purchase? 2. Six Flags tickets are being closed out for the season, unused tickets and payment will be sent out. 3. Discussed swim lessons for summer 2019, the approximate cost is $300 for the WSI (Water Safety Instructor) class. Discussed the possibility of offering to pay a portion of the WSI class, this would be after the instructor finishes instructing the swim season. Will discuss further as well as any other possibilities. 4. Next meeting 11/1/18? Need to discuss the Gingerbread House event/details.
Meeting adjourned at: 8:25PM.
Respectfully submitted by: Patricia Richard.
Submitted to Town Clerk.