April 19, 2018, Thursday @ 6:30PM
Harmony Hall, 70 North Main Road, Otis, MA
Meeting called by & time: Kathy Carroll, 6:47PM.
Meeting facilitated by: Kathy Carroll.
Board Members Present: Kathy Carroll, Bill Dyer, Mary Adams, Dana Pustinger. (Bill left 7:40PM)
Board Members Absent: None.
Others Present: Patricia Richard, Program Supervisor.
- Introductions. None needed.
- Review & approval of Meeting Minutes. Reviewed & approved 3/22/18.
- Town Accountant Reports. Inquired with Town Accountant regarding i, ii, iii.
- Capital Expense.
- FY17 Encumbered Funds.
- FY18 Discrepancies.
- Rec Center Reports. Reviewed. Approved to purchase sun safety/kits for swim participants.
- MRPA Conference. Patricia & Kathy attended and participated in workshops in Christian’s Law, event planning, social media, logos/marketing and found the conference to be extremely helpful with resourcing & networking. Kathy reported that just about all Park & Rec members have identifying apparel at all events. Discussed apparel for staff.
- FY19 Budget. Regular budget approved as submitted, Staff budget approved at 2.5% (COLA), no merit raises.
- Rec Center. Patricia reviewed the current refund policy. Refund policy is included on all registrations. No refund due to illness.
- Cardio Room – salt/debris. Still having issues with debris from sneakers. Disinfecting of equipment will change to once a week.
- Funding Factory. We are not participating in this program anymore due to the organization having a very limited list of qualifying items – items we are receiving from the community are not on the qualifying list. Patricia will contact Farmington River Elementary.
- Building Security. Patricia attended the staff meeting regarding building security. Feedback from this meeting will be shared with the Select Board.
- Ethics Training. Rec instructors (classified as employees & sub contractors are exempt per the Select Board).
- Rec Center Handout. All Rec instructors (employees & sub contractors) receive.
- Town Personnel Policy Manual. Rec instructors classified as employees receive.
- CORI. Mandatory for all staff & volunteers.
- Programs/Project Proposals.
- Ayurveda Workshop—4/7/18. Well attended, great survey results.
- Basket Weaving Workshop – 4/14/18. Well attended, great survey results. Participants would like to see a second workshop offered during the year.
- Egg Hunt—3/24, rain date 3/25. Discussed the possibility of changing the date due to the weather – change name of event and location (Farmington River Elementary)?
- Fun in the Sun – community event, 7/21/18. Discussed – Ed Pop (Magician & Balloon Sculptor) will perform along with a visit from the ice cream truck @ Otis Town Hall.
- Glass Blowing Workshop – liability & insurance.
- Jewelry Workshop. Scheduled for 6/9/18, Saturday, 1:00-3:00PM, Otis Town Hall. Instructor Barbara Beaudry. $14 Otis, $18 Non-Otis.
- Maple Corner Farm. Patricia provided an update and that all passes were not returned. Criteria states on the pass if pass is not returned to the Rec Center Office by listed date user forfeits future usage.
- Obstacle Course – 8/18/18. Tabled to next meeting.
- Otis Ridge.
- Screen-Free Week—BINGO. Scheduled for 5/24/18, Thursday, 5:00-7:00PM. Rec will provide popcorn, supplies and cover cost of food and prizes along with helping with setup, cleanup and the event.
- Six Flags. We are continuing to offer this discount (consignment) program to the community – prices have slightly increased but there is still a significant savings (season pass, general admission, meal vouchers & picnic in the park).
- Ski Helmet Day—Update.
- Swim Lessons. No inquiries for the swim instructor or assistant to the swim instructor.
- Christian’s Law.
- Hanging Flower Basket Workshop – 5/5/18. Scheduled for 1:00-3:00PM @ Greener Leaves Greenhouse.
- Old Business.
- New Business. 1. Patricia contacted the Otis Rescue Squad to find out if there are any upcoming CPR classes being offered, none are being offered soon. Rescue Squad referred Rec to contact SJG Training as this is the instructor they used last year. Patricia will contact and update at the next meeting. 2. New possible class for this summer – MELT? Patricia is contacting the instructor. 3. Cynthia Badrak will not be returning this summer; therefore we will not be offering the Stretch class with her this summer. 4. Reviewed July & August scheduling.
Meeting adjourned at: 8:55PM.
Respectfully submitted by: Patricia Richard.
Submitted to Town Clerk.