January 24, 2019, Thursday @ 6:00PM
Harmony Hall, 70 North Main Road, Otis, MA
Meeting called by & time: Kathy Carroll, 6:09PM.
Meeting facilitated by: Kathy Carroll.
Board Members Present: Kathy Carroll, Bill Dyer, Dana Pustinger. (Bill left 7:40PM)
Board Members Absent: Mary Adams.
Others Present: Patricia Richard, Program Supervisor.
- Introductions. None needed.
- Review & approval of Meeting Minutes. Reviewed & approved 1/17/19.
- FY20 Budget Proposal. Reviewed. It was suggested that COLA & merit raise amounts should be separated. Patricia will submit Tom Soules’ evaluation with the budget. Discussed the line item for Movie Night extensively and decided to not include this program in the budget due to low attendance. Requested amount will be used for special activities; a couple examples given were a dance, art night, bus trips (see #10), etc. Discussed the swim instructor line item and approved the reimbursement of the Water Safety Instructor class as an incentive (up to $300), this amount would be reimbursed to the Swim Instructor once their commitment of swim instruction has been completed for the season.
- Town Accountant Reports.
- Rec Center Reports. Reviewed.
- Accounting program.
- Rec Center.
- Office computer.
- QuickBooks issues.
- Email issues.
- Door access system.
- New Office computer.
- Planning Board meeting regarding Harmony Hall 9/17/18. Update from January 2019 Select Board meeting – maintenance dept getting quotes for roof and will be included in the FY20 budget proposal. No timeline for building repairs per BOS.
- Building Sub Committee. No one from Rec was able to attend this meeting as it was scheduled on the same day as the Rec meeting. Patricia inquired with Larry to receive an update.
- Weight Room status.
- AED Unit. No update.
- All Board’s update. Reviewed, attached.
- Kayaks. Will be included in the FY20 budget proposal.
- www.noticeotis.com bumper stickers. We are out of them; this item will be included in the FY20 budget proposal.
- Welcome Packets. Rec will contact departments for their materials and put together. Will be available at various departments/locations.
- Programs/Project Proposals.
- Basket Weaving Workshop. Scheduled for 4/6/19, Saturday @ Wendy Jensen’s Studio in Monterey. Muffin basket for April and Harvest basket for the Fall.
- Easter Egg Hunt. Scheduled for 4/13/19, Saturday, 10AM. Rain date 4/14/19.
- Essential Oils Workshop. Tentatively scheduled for 5/17/19, Friday, 6:30PM.
- Gingerbread House Event. Reviewed surveys, attached – everyone had a great time and appreciates the Town funding this awesome event.
- Joints & Glands Class. Not going forward, instructor has other commitments.
- Movie license. This will not be included in the FY20 budget proposal.
- Library Fair & Performer. Discussed having the performer this date (7/6/19, Saturday) along with a bike/helmet safety event. Patricia will inquire with the Police Dept. regarding the bike/safety event.
- Pittsfield Suns (baseball). Patricia contacted the Suns to find out if they have a voucher program, they offer them for $4/each and leftovers roll over to the next season. Will discuss further at upcoming meeting. Approved.
- Ski Helmet Days. 1/5/19, 19 helmets fitted/distributed. Next Helmet day 2/23/19.
- Inventory & supplies.
- Town Beach.
- Sand – replenish?
- Play ship – mulch?
- Youth Obstacle Challenge. Scheduled for 8/3/19, Saturday.
- Old Business.
- New Business. 1. Reviewed Connie Wilson’s project proposal for a Yoga/Ayurveda study group, approved. 2. Mass Rec & Park Association Conference, Patricia & Kathy plan to attend, scheduled for March 25, 26 & 27. 3. Springfield Thunderbirds was brought up as an idea for tickets, Patricia will inquire. 4. Town Report due 2/20/19. 5. Special activities were discussed, one possibility was bus trips to various Rec attractions such as aquariums, zoos, whale watches, water parks, roller skating, Howe Caverns and the Dino Place.
Meeting adjourned at: 8:54PM.
Respectfully submitted by: Patricia Richard.
Submitted to Town Clerk.