Planning Board Meeting Minutes 05/10/2021

Printer friendly

Town of Otis

Planning Board Meeting Minutes

May 10, 2021

7:00 p.m.

Online using the Zoom link provided below.


*This meeting is being conducted remotely through Zoom. You must check back within 24 hours of the start time for a link to join.

Pursuant to the Governor’s March 12, 2020 order suspending certain provisions of the Open Meeting Law, G.L. c. 30A, Sec 18, this meeting is being held via remote participation to the greatest extent possible. Every effort is being made to ensure that any member of the public may access the meeting in real time, via technological means. Agendas will be amended to show the link and participation code to access the meeting no sooner than 48 hours before. Recordings and/or draft proceedings of the meeting will be available on our website as soon as possible.

  1.  Roll Call
    1. Hal, chair
    2. Jim, member
    3. Rona, member
    4. Jen, member
    5. Barbara, member (did not vote)
    6. Stacey Schultze, clerk
    7. James Seidl, public
    8. Brandi Page, Town Admin
    9. Brian Patinskas, public
    10. Jamie Roy, public
    11. Larry Gould, Building Inspector
    12. Mary Kay Pinkham, public
    13. Therese, public


  1. Approval of Minutes.  Approval of April 5, 2021 Planning Board meeting minutes.  Jen motions to accept, Rona seconds, all in favor.


  1. Form A, review of plans indicates all conformities are met. Hal motions to accept, Jim seconds, all in favor.


  1. Tannery Rd


  1. Discussion of the fact that there has never been a road plan registered requires one to be filed before the bridge plans can be filed.
  2. Once the file is registered the road will remain as it is laid out.
  3. Hal makes a motion to accept what has been presented to the planning board, Jen seconds, all in. Hal will draft an approval letter and submit to Brandi via email.
  1. Review Wireless Communication Facilities Bylaw
    1. There is a word correction needed in section 6.5.3-1.
    2. A second article is proposed by Hal that includes the addition of obligation of all future cell towers to all and make space for emergency services without charge
    3. Hal is working with BRPC to create accurate language- Rona asked if sections of the current bylaw encourage use of shared towers and the limit of number of towers could cover this proposed addition. Hal explained that the language does not require the tower owners to provide access and space for emergency services, just that it could be arranged.
    4. Jen suggested reviewing Monterey’s bylaw since have had several towers installed recently and do not seem to have issues with emergency service coverage


  1. Master Plan & Open Space/ Recreation Plan
    1. Hal suggest that the board start work on this at the beginning of next year in hopes of having a finished product in 2023 and that funding will be approved in 2022.
    2. Hal also indicated that the MVP, HMP, and Complete Streets will augment and can be amendments to the current plan and there should be reports to support the amendments by the end of 2021.
    3. Board agrees that this sounds like a good time line


  1. MVP & HMP Grants update
    1. Jen said there will be new information distributed for the committee to review and they are planning more public meetings.
    2. Hal mentioned that he website should be ready soon and that an insert about the survey will be included in the annual report that is mailed to residents.


  1. Complete Streets Grant update
    1. The subcommittee will meet together Wednesday with BRPC, DOT, and Foresight Engineering to do a site visit of proposed locations for projects.


  1. Dark Sky Bylaw
    1. Hal will collect model bylaws and work on a rough draft then distribute to the board for comment and review.


  1. Vacation Rental Bylaw
    1. Article will be voted on at Town Meeting to add excise tax.
    2. Hal will share information from BRPC about other bylaws in the Berkshires/ Hilltowns for the board to consider.
    3. Jen suggested via Mary Kay Pickham that we look at the Stockbridge bylaw and that it is very important to get the bylaw right because we are setting the community standard on how to be a good neighbor. Information will be shared prior to the next meeting for discussion.


  1. Any Other Business, Old or New.
    1. None.


  1. Meeting Adjourned at 7:46, motion by Jen, Rona seconds, all in favor.


The Public is invited to attend using the following Zoom link.


Join Zoom Meeting:

Meeting ID: 812 3127 0443

One tap mobile: +16465588656,,81231270443# US (New York)

Dial by your location:         +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)