Otis Library & Museum June Minutes 06/09/2022

Printer friendly

Otis Library & Museum June Minutes

Thursday, June 9, 2022, 6:00 PM

In-Person Members present: Jim Adams, Kathy Bort, Diane Dyer, Chair, Sue Brofman, Susan Ebitz, Lois Hall, Gloria Mamokhin Donna Rich.

Chair Diane Dyer called the meeting to order at 6:20 PM.

Approval of Minutes

Susan B. made a motion, seconded by Donna to approve the May Meeting Minutes as amended. The motion was unanimously passed.

Treasurer’s reports: A motion was made by Susan E., seconded by Gloria to accept the May Treasurer’s Report. The treasurer’s report was unanimously approved.

Director’s Report:

Attendance Increasing, masks required but they are available

Circulation: Increasing

Programming: All programs booked for summer

Library Personnel: “I will retire as Director no later than October 30, 2022. I will complete all state reports before leaving and remain as Acting Director until a replacement plan can be implemented.”

Summer Staffing:

Day Time Personnel On Call
Monday 10:00 – 4:00 Lois & Kyle Kathy
Tuesday 12:00 – 6:00 Kathy & Kerry Lois
Wednesday 10:00 – 5:00 Lois & Kathy Crowe Kathy
Thursday 1:00 – 7:00 Kathy & Kyle Lois
Friday 10:00 – 5:00 Lois &Kerry Kathy
Saturday 9:00 – 1:00 Kerry & Kyle  

Technology Needs: (See new business)

File Cabinet Needed: Susan E. will donate

Old Business

Otis Library Fair: We have 25 committed vendors, 30 spaces. Three community groups: Otis Preservation Trust, Diverse Otis and Otis Council on Aging.

  • Subcommittees
  • Publicity – Lois has made signs/banners for distribution, Diane, Sue B. Donna and Susan E, will hang up. Susan will continue to post flyers on 8 FB community bulletin boards
  • Food – Sue B. and Chef Tony will be offering “A Taste of Italy”. Tony will cook eggplant parmesan (150) and sausage & peppers grinders (150) pasta, hot dogs (150). Food will be largely “hand held.” Sue B. will collect $ and call in the order. Susan E. will provide 5 gal. iced tea and 5 gal. of lemonade.
  • Raffle – Tickets will be sold in advance as well as the day of the fair. Tom Burke will coordinate soliciting prizes from other businesses in town and along with his wife Carole, will raffle tickets the day of the fair. Additional prizes donated include a Homemade Quilt by Barbara Foley and a robotic vacuum cleaner from Kathy. Celeste is donating a chain saw. Staff and Trustees are donating baskets that can be used for the raffle: Automotive and Movie Basket (Lois), Children’s Books (Gloria), Health & Wellness (Donna), Beach (Diane), Sports (Sue B.), Breakfast (Susan E.) Coffee & Tea (Kathy)


  • Family & Children’s Activities – Donna & Susan coordinating with Leigha Chaffee from Diverse Otis, Otis Cultural Council and the Otis Police department. Rachel and friend will assist with face painting. The Otis Police helped secure the Copicicle Truck. Schedule of Activities- 10:00 – making bookmarks, 11:00 Tim Van Egmond, Storyteller & Performer, 12:30 – Pottery Demo, Rick Hamelin 1:00: Story, multicultural craft
  • Set -up – Friday night: Diane, Mike & Tony
  • Clean up – Everyone
  • The Cultural Council is paying for a potter and storyteller. A generator will be used for electricity. Jim Ebitz will provide generator. Robert & Daniel Rich will assist.
  • Bake Goods – Diane, & Gloria will run this table. Items will be individually wrapped and/or plated. ALL asked to contribute. Lois will provide a large coffee pot, Gloria will make the coffee
  • Book Sale – At the library, stuff a bag. Large bag $10, Small bag $ 5
  • Parking Cars – Jim Ebitz will do it when entertainment set up is completed.
  • Safety – Police have been contacted as said they would be present
  • Town maintenance will mow, provide 8 tables, and 30 chairs. Staff/Trustees will provide “Pop – Up tents” and other tables.
  • Community Tables: Otis Preservation Trust, Diverse Otis and Otis Council on Aging.


New Business: Sunshine Fund recommendation: From Kathy: A sum of money is deposited in a special account so when an event happens and a gift, flowers, donation, etc., is needed the person in charge uses this account.  This way there is no need for posted meetings, or quorums.  The person in charge reports expenditures at monthly meeting. Susan E. raised the question of should this money be collected from individual members of the staff and trustees or come from library funds. Kathy suggested the money come from donations. The trustees discussed and agreed that a $25 Amazon Gift Certificate should be sent to any staff or trustee who experienced a funeral, operation, long sickness or injury, marriage, new baby, or retirement. Susan, in her role as recording secretary, volunteered to monitor. A motion to accept this new policy was made by Sue B. and seconded by Gloria. It passed unanimously.

File Cabinet Needed: Susan E. will donate

Technology Needs: Kathy provided a detailed list of issues that still need to be addressed. Sue B. pointed out that we’ve been waiting two years for this work to be done. Jim reminded us of a motion made, and unanimously accepted, during our August 12, 2021 meeting to authorize our tech subcommittee (Diane & Sue B.) to present our needs to the town Technology Subcommittee, and the Selectboard if necessary. There was unanimous agreement among the Trustees that our patrons’ and staff concerns needed immediate attention. A motion was made by Jim and seconded by Sue B. to affirm our earlier motion to move forward addressing tech needs. The vote was unanimous.

Motion to adjourn was made by Sue and seconded by Gloria. The meeting was adjourned at 8:15.


Respectfully Submitted,

Susan Ebitz, Recording Secretary

Next Meeting: July 14, 2022,

Future Meetings:  FAIR, July 9, August 11, September 8, October 13, November 10, December 8