Otis Library & Museum Annual Meeting*
Thursday, November 12, 2020
* Meeting will be conducted in accordance of the Massachusetts Open Meeting Law
Members present – James Adams, Kathy Bort, Sue Brofman, Lois Hall, Gloria Mamokhin Donna Rich, Celeste Watman and Susan Ebitz
Recording Secretary Susan Ebitz called the meeting to order in Diane Dyer’s absence called the meeting to order at 5:06 PM.
The October Minutes were approved unanimously.
Treasurer’s reports: Approved unanimously
Director’s Report: (See unedited attached) Unanimously approved.
- Susan B. explained how the CARES Act Grant might be applied to the library. She and Susan E. discussed applying potential funds towards technology expenditures. Both Sue & Susan recommend that the board not apply for money through the CARES ACT because once we asked John Charrow to set aside time for tech support we would be responsible for this expenditure and the grant might not reimburse us. Celeste made a motion to accept the recommendation, Gloria seconded it and the motion was passed unanimously.
- Discussion ensued around the hours advertised for Thursdays. Members would like to meet at 5:00 but the library is open till 6:00, Lois suggested the library be closed at 5:00 instead of six on the second Thursday of the month only. Susan/Sue made and seconded a motion to close the library at 5:00 on the night of the monthly library meeting but remain open till 6:00 every other Thursday of the month. Library signage would not have to be changed. This motion passed unanimously.
- Donna and Susan gave an update on the StoryWalk detailing past and future plans. The Smithsonian Museum donation was very much appreciated and the featured book “How Raven Stole the Sun” was very well received. They plan to keep the “live” walks ongoing throughout the year to provide “safe” gatherings and promote community engagement with the library. An on-line application for people who might want to be guest readers will be drafted and presented back to the board when it’s ready.
- Kathy announced that the library would be able to reopen on Saturdays from 9:00 till 1:00. Kyle Hawley has been hired to assume this shift. He’s also willing to organize Hank Wingate’s notes when not busy with patrons.
- Gloria made a motion, seconded by Sue to authorize Kathy to order and ship three bookcases that would match the existing furniture in the children’s section. These bookcases cost $678. The Board unanimously approved this motion.
- Kathy reported that the library wouldn’t participate in Halloween book distribution this year. Normally, children come to the library and they can be given a book that matches their reading level and area of interest. Due to COVID restraints, that is not possible this year. Kathy reported that the recently completed “school bag” project co-sponsored by the REC Department was a big hit.
- Gloria gave an in-depth overview of a grant opportunity sponsored by the ALA and Small & Rural Libraries for up to $3000. The grant is due on December 2, for the first-round applications. The purpose of the grant is to provide community engagement resources and opportunities for library workers serving small and rural communities. The Otis Library & Museum seemed to meet all the qualifications but there was a question of whether CWMARS meant the Library was also a member of ALA. Celeste and Kathy will research this. There are numerous requirements including taking on-line webinars. Gloria and Susan E. agreed to co-facilitate this grant subcommittee. Susan B. made a motion that was seconded by Donna to authorize Gloria and Susan to pursue applying for this grant.
- Kathy reported she’s submitted a letter about sanitizing equipment to the town. She’s also requested an air quality evaluation. Both of these “asks” to relate to keeping staff and patrons safe despite COVID.
- The election results of the annual meeting:
Chair: Diane Dyer
Recording Secretary: Susan Ebitz
Treasurer: Susan Brofman
The motion to adjourn the regular meeting was made by Gloria and seconded by Celeste at 6:15 PM.
Susan Ebitz, Recording Secretary
Next Meeting: November 12, 2020
Future Meetings: December10, 2020, January 7, 2021, February 11, 2021, March 11, 2021, April
2021, May13, 2021, June 10, 2021
Director’s report November 2020
Attendance Curbside 609/106 Browse 112/55
Acquisitions Books 82 Audio 3 DVD 55
Book cases delivered and set up: Separate section for children’s movies; more organization of children’s materials more space for displays
Kyle working Saturdays…
11/21 Kathy will work
Numbers are increasing and constantly changing…………………need the authority to move from open library to curbside if needed
Thanksgiving schedule concern of visiting people from out of area
Wednesday 11/25 open as usual
Thursday 11/26 closed for Thanksgiving
Friday 11/27 & Saturday 11/28 Curbside Only
Christmas Schedule Wednesday 12/23 open as usual
Thursday 12/24 thru 12/29 closed for Christmas
Wednesday 12/30 open as usual
Air conditioners have been removed and air circulation is concern