Otis Library Museum Annual Meeting – Minutes
November Monthly Meeting – Minutes
Thursday, November 14, 2019
Members present -Celeste, Diane, Donna, James, Jane, Kathy, Lois, Sue B., and Susan E.
Chair Diane Dyer called the annual meeting to order at 6:10. The sole agenda item was the election of officers for the Otis Library and Museum Board of Trustees for 2019 – 2020. The officers who were unanimously approved by the board include:
Diane Dyer, Chairperson
Susan Ebitz, Recording Secretary
Sue Brofman, Treasurer
Jane made a motion that was seconded by Jim to adjourn the annual meeting and begin the monthly meeting that was unanimously approved at 6:15.
The October Minutes were approved as amended with Celeste making the motion seconded by Jane. Susan B. gave the Treasurer’s Report which was approved with Susan E. making a motion that was seconded by Jim.
Director’s Report: submitted by Kathleen Bort
- Attendance circulation is decreasing with an average of 25 – most active early in the day
- Circulation requests are lower but several people using Libby and CWMARS
- Thanksgiving hours: Wednesday close at 1:00, Thursday closed, Friday 11-5:00.
- FMLA regulations went into effect in October. Personnel had the following monthly deductions: Kathy Bort, $8.02, Lois $5.64, Kerry, $.91, Kathy Crowe, TBD based on her employment
- Walter needs to be taken off the Berkshire Bank Card and Sue B. added to conduct library business
- MA Audubon will do a presentation LIVING WITH WILDLIFE ON Wednesday, November 20th at 6:00 PM
- From November through January art created by Farmington River Regional School students will be displayed with a reception and musical performance taking place on December 19th. This reception will last from 4:00 till 6:00. The Library will provide refreshments
Susan made a motion that was seconded by Sue B. to accept the Director’s Report as written. The motion passed unanimously.
- Kathy reports that a bill related to technology hasn’t been paid. The Technology subcommittee reports that they have not officially heard from the select board. Diane will get this topic on the agenda for the select board meeting scheduled Tuesday, November 26 and inquire concerning this issue at the meeting. Members of the library trustees will attend.
- FY 2021 Budget – the budget subcommittee including Celeste, Sue Brofman, and Susan Ebitz met with Kathy to discuss budget line items for FY 2021. They will meet later in the month to continue this work.
- Susan made a request to Lyn O’Brien, Town Clerk, that the Otis Library Fair date, Saturday, July 11th from 10:00 – 3:00 be put on the town calendar.
- Celeste and Susan discussed the benefits of the library joining the Digital Commonwealth for $100 annually. Jim made the motion that was seconded by Donna that was passed unanimously.
- Susan reported that many of the goals stated in the Five-Year Plan were met or in progress. One issue that needs to be addressed is a website subcommittee. Sue suggested that we begin working on the Five-Year Plan a year from now.
- Celeste reports that MBLC State Aid to Public Libraries is available for potential building remodeling or new construction. If a project is approved, MBLC would provide up to 80% of the cost with the library fundraising for the remainder. Kathy added that the grant award begins with a feasibility study to help the library determine its best option.
- Diane discussed the town holiday get-together and the holiday library dinner. The library holiday dinner will take place Thursday, December 6th at 6:15 at Fratelli’s. All library staff and trustee members are invited.
The motion to adjourn was made by Jim and seconded by Susan at 7:35 PM.
Susan Ebitz, Recording Secretary
Next Meeting: Thursday, December 12, 2019 – agenda items due: 12/9/19
Future Meetings: Please don’t schedule speakers on our regularly meeting night 12, 2019
January 9, 2020 – agenda items due: 1/6/20
February 13, 2020 – agenda items due:2/10/20
March 12, 2020 – agenda items due: 3/9/20
April 9, 2020 – agenda items due: 4/6/20
May 14, 2020 – agenda items due: 5/11/20
June 11, 2020 – agenda items due: 6/8/20