Otis Library & Museum Meeting Minutes
Thursday, July 8, 2021
IN- PERSON Meeting: INSIDE the Otis Library & Museum- social distance
Members present: Jim Adams (left early), Kathy Bort, Sue Brofman, Diane Dyer, Susan Ebitz, Lois Hall, Celeste Watman. Chair Diane Dyer called the meeting to order at 5:16 PM
- Approval of June Minutes – approved unanimously
- Approval June Treasurer’s Reports – approved unanimously
- Director’s Report (See attached, unedited)
- Unfinished/Ongoing Business
- Fair – The 2019 Fair Flyer was analyzed and discussed in all-fair categories. A raffle will be held that will include many individual items. The library staff will sell tickets in advance. Jim will seek a donation from Jacob’s Pillow, Donna from Ken Packie. Donna & Susan will run children/family activities throughout the fair. Apart from the book sale, all activities will take place on the Town Green in front of the Erbe House
- Technology Update– There was a great deal of discussion and frustration on the part Library staff about several items related to both patron and staff use. It was proposed that Robert Rich meet with Larry, John Shannon and the staff to help navigate difficulties as they arise. A motion was made by Celeste and seconded by Jim to give the issue more time and reexamine in August.
- Reporting on the LTC “Diversity Otis Grant,” Susan E. shared that at least one community forum must be held by July 31st as a requirement of the Grant. She proposed the forum be held Thursday, July 22nd at 7:00 PM at Town Hall so as not conflict with the MBLC meeting on Tuesday, July 27th. Susan has contacted several individuals representing various groups in town including Diverse Otis, the Cultural Council, EMTs, Otis Historical Society, School Committee and town officials to solicit feedback concerning the specifics related to the topic heading and questions. Four individuals were willing to facilitate Breakout sessions in the forum. The Board approved sponsoring the forum on 7/22 at 7:00 PM.
- The next “Pop-In Poetry” entitled Mosaics will be held on July 16th at 7:00 PM. The July 28th StoryWalk will feature the book “World, World, What Can I Do?” by Otis summer resident and author Barbara Shook Hazen.
- Sue B. reported that the meeting with Lauren and Andrea from the MLBC had gone very well and that they appreciated all that Kathy shared about the library. They were also impressed with how many people were seen using the library.
- Kyle Hawley shared the new webpage that he developed for the library.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:05 PM.
Susan Ebitz, Recording Secretary
Next Meeting: August 12, 2021, Time and place TBA