Library Meeting Minutes 04/14/2022

Printer friendly

Otis Library & Museum April Minutes

Thursday, April 14, 2022, 6:00 PM


Members present – Diane Dyer, Chair, James Adams, Kathy Bort, Sue Brofman, Susan Ebitz, Lois Hall, Donna Rich and Celeste Watman

Chair Diane Dyer called the meeting to order at 6:00 PM.

Approval of Minutes

  1. Celeste made a motion, seconded by Donna to approve the March Meeting Minutes. The motion was unanimously passed.

Treasurer’s reports: Sue B. reported that the library paid $6,660 for the geological survey required for the Small Library Pilot Project. Since we were not selected, we will not get reimbursed for this expense by the SLA Pilot Project. A motion was made by Susan E., seconded by Donna to accept the March Treasurer’s Report. The treasurer’s report was unanimously approved.

Director’s Report: * (Unedited)

  1. Attendance Increasing, Average 20, No masks currently
  2. Circulation, increasing 157 circulations this week, Holds requested 29, filled 47
  3. Delivery 5 bins, 3 Wednesday, 2 Friday
  4. New registrations, 5
  5. Acquisitions: Books 30, DVD’s 12
  6. Small Library Pilot Program (reported in Old Business)
  7. ALA Diversity Otis Grant (reported in Old Business)
  8. PJ Drive: Lindsay from DCF From Pittsfield received 79 Pairs of PJ’s we collected. *We were the only library in Berkshire County to participate this year!!
  9. BLADES: We applied for a visit from Boston Bruins Mascot Blades to visit either July 2 or August 6 for Story Walk; or July 9 at the Otis Library Country Craft Fair
  10. Children’s Summer Reading Program: JUNE Juneteenth reading by Steve Otfinoski, JULY Autobiographies / Biographies Searching for identities, AUGUST: TY Allan Jackson – Family Children Presentation Making A Difference

Old Business 

  • Small Pilot Project Update: Kathy reported that she had received emails from Lauren and from Andrea acknowledging our gratitude to them for their help in applying for the grant. Kathy also shared that she had made a request to know if there was something we could have done to improve our application. Kathy had asked Lauren/Andrea about next steps for Otis, should Shutesbury not approve the funding at their town meeting. They have discussed the language which will appear on the Otis Town Warrant with Brandi. The town will have a chance to discuss this at the Town Meeting on Tuesday, May 16th. Shutesbury will vote to fund or not fund the project on May 27th. Several trustees and staff agreed that though the news was disappointing, applying for this pilot grant had produced so many positives. The trustees and staff wish Shutesbury well and will take this process “one step at a time,” continuing to talk with members of the community and investigate other options for funding.
  • ALA, Diversity Otis Grant: Kathy reported that there are approx. 6 outstanding books still out, and that money has been put aside to sponsor Food Event at FRRSD. Susan E. reported that Jenna Daley, the PE teacher at FRRSD is teaching library classes to all the children. She has created a special display of all the books and reports that the children are really enjoying this collection.
  • StoryWalk: Donna reported that a “live” walk will kick off on Saturday, April 16th and feature the book “We are Water Protectors,” the first ever Caldicott book written by a Native American. Susan added that book is most appropriate for Earth Day and will remain up through April 30th. Both trustees are grateful to Otis Cultural Council for the gift of the laminator and to Lois for making the copies.

New Business

Otis Library Fair: We have 11 committed vendors. Celeste will submit the vendor ad to the Otis Observer and Susan will post on social media on the Otis/East Otis, Connect Sandisfield and her personal site and will send to the Town of Otis news.

  • Subcommittees
  • Publicity – Susan E. will coordinate distribution once the flyer is made; Kathy and Lois will investigate sandwich boards.
  • Food – Sue B. and Chef Tony will be offering “A Taste of Italy” with homemade Italian food at the fair and for “take-out.”
  • Raffle – Tickets will be sold in advance as well as the day of the fair. The goal is to have between 20 and thirty prizes that can be displayed. Celeste is donating a chain saw, Jim is checking with Bruce’s Hardware and Jacob’s Pillow, Donna reported Ken Packie will make a donation. Kathy will ask Paul Gage for a firestick. Jamie- Garden Center Plants? Evelyn Garvey, photograph? Other “in -town asks?’ for the raffle? Trustees and Staff will donate various baskets (beach, breakfast, movie theme) to raffle. We need to commit at our next meeting to prevent duplicates. We NEED: Someone to chair this committee to coordinate solicitation of more raffle items. 
  • Family & Children’s Activities – Donna & Susan coordinating with Leigha Chaffee from Diverse Otis and the Rec Center. Donna’s son’s girlfriend will assist with face painting. We will try to get the Copicicle Truck.
  • Set -up – Day of – Everyone, Night Before: ?
  • Clean up – Everyone
  • Entertainment – Kathy will ask Bruce Mandel if he would be willing to perform. The Cultural Council is paying for a potter.
  • Bake Goods – Diane Dyer will ask Ruth Tessler and work this table.
  • Book Sale – At the library
  • Parking Cars – Jim Ebitz will do it.
  • Safety – Police? Have they been contacted?
  • Five Year Plan – Most Goals achieved, time to make suggestions for the new one.
  • Other – Sue B. shared that Diverse Otis would be sponsoring a panel on “Embracing Our Differences,” on Thursday, June 16th.


Motion to adjourn was made by Susan E. and seconded by Donna. The meeting was adjourned at 7:30.


Respectfully Submitted,

Susan Ebitz, Recording Secretary

Next Meeting: May 12, 2022

Future Meetings:  June 9, 2022, LIBRARY FAIR, July 9, meeting July 14, August 11, September 8, October 13, November 10, December 8