5/22/18 Minutes of Historic Commission
Meeting called to order at 5:35.
Present: Sonia Morrison, Thom Garvey, Lauretta Harris
Guest: Bonnie Parsons
- Reviewed town vote on St Paul’s. Discussed educational community outreach.
- Reviewed & discussed Records management contract. Thom made a motion to accept contract. Lauretta 2nd. Vote was unanimous to accept. Sonia completed paperwork for payment processing & left in Margaret’s inbox.
- Bonnie reviewed the steps towards grant opportunities: update the inventory on file with MA Historic Commission; Add inventory; the grant process & how St Paul’s will most likely be welcomed for grant opportunity with MA Preservation Project Funds. This is a 50% matching grant. As she will prepare presentations for a public meeting (or 2), Bonnie suggested that we also invite Ron Bernard from the Sandisfield Arts Center.
Also, there are “survey & planning” grants from MA Historic Commission. This year the money is going solely to municipalities that have a “certified local government” & Bonnie suggested we look into this. Generally, this grant is open to all – but occasionally only to pre-certified municipalities as a reward for becoming certified.
Bonnie will also be in touch with the person at MA Historical who will decide if there is enough historic properties to create a national historic district. This district would not require any restrictions for property owners, but could open up the publically owned buildings to additional grant opportunities. Bonnie & Thom, and any others interested, will select a date to tour the town & see if there are areas that might meet the criteria of “historic districts”, prior to bringing in the state representative.
- Sonia reported that the Tech committee recently rec’d $75,000 based on meeting criteria of 2 best management practices. Working with other boards can help towards meeting the criteria & Bonnie said the more done with best management practices can move a municipality up the grant ladder.
- Next meeting tentatively scheduled for June 20, Wed. 5:30 – depending all members responding to this date.
Meeting adjourned at 6:45pm