OTIS CULTURAL COUNCIL
MINUTES OF AUGUST 23, 2016
Attendees: Jeanne Randorf, Carol Lombardo, Arlene Tolopko, Deb Fogel, Al Blake, Joan Basis, Shanon Albee, Diane Provenz, Mary Jo Engels
Absentees: Robert Turnbough, Ilona Packe, Darlene Murphy, Illisa Sulner, Vicki Ernst, Mary Anne Cicchillo
- Meeting called to Order at 6:05 PM
- Carol Lombardo made a motion to approve the minutes of May 24, 2016.
- Financial report was presented by Shanon Albee. Mary Jo Engels made a motion to accept the report. Motion carried.
- Chair Report
- State budget news – Jeanne Randorf reported that our budget remains essentially the same as last year.
- Recruitment for 2017 grant cycle – Jeanne Randorf introduced a new on-line application process. Diane Provenz made a motion to continue to accept paper applications as well. Motion carried. Both methods will be used.
- Mission statement – A discussion was held regarding our present mission statement whether it should be revised to include wording that would allow the committee to expand its efforts. After much discussion, it was decided that the OCC mission statement should read as follows:
“The Otis Cultural Council mission is to promote cultural access, education, and diversity in the arts, humanities, and interpretive sciences for Otis residents of all ages, and to promote communication and community building.” Diane Provenz made a motion that we accept the new mission statement. Carol Lombardo seconded the motion. The motion carried.
- New Grant Cycle
A lengthy discussion took place regarding new programs for 2017. Ideas suggested included computer classes, square dancing, lectures on art, nutrition classes, upholstery classes, etc. The committee was encouraged to recruit programs of interest.
The importance of placing OCC event flyers in designated places was stressed. It was noted that several times, flyers had not been changed.
- Events past and upcoming
- Feedback from summer events
- Sup-n-swing – Very successful
- FREES – June event went nicely
- Water color classes – First class cancelled due to lack of enrollment.
Second class went well.
Third class has sufficient enrollment.
- Arts Festival – Deb Fogel reported that currently, the Arts Festival has only 17 applicants. The determination regarding the viability will be delayed until the September meeting.
- Collaboration – Efforts have been made to collaborate with surrounding communities.
- Other Business – Deb Fogel reported a bang-up week for the recycle committee.
VII. Next meeting will be held on September 27, 2016 at 6:00PM
Meeting was adjourned at 7:15PM
Mary Jo Engels