Recreation Commission Meeting Minutes 01/25/2018

Recreation Commission

January 25, 2018, Thursday @ 6:30PM

Harmony Hall, 70 North Main Road, Otis, MA

 

MINUTES

 

Meeting called by & time:  Kathy Carroll, 6:42PM.

Meeting facilitated by:  Kathy Carroll.

Board Members Present:  Kathy Carroll, Mary Adams, Dana Pustinger.

Board Members Absent:  Bill Dyer.

Others Present:  Patricia Richard, Program Supervisor.

 

 

 

  1. Introductions. None needed.
  2. Review & approval of Minutes.  Reviewed & approved 11/16/17.
  3. Accounting.
    1. Accountant Reports.
    2. Recreation Reports. Reviewed.  Discussed Town Beach signs, Patricia will contact the Maintenance & Highway Departments.
  4. Town Report submission.  Kathy & Patricia will meet to work on the report; any additions are welcome from the Recreation Commissioners.  Due date 2/20/18.
  5. FY19 Budget.  Reviewed draft.  Staff & Instructor increases will be discussed at the next meeting along with goal/objective.
  6. Rec Center.
    1. Building Use Sub Committee.
    2. Website.
    3. www.noticeotis.com
  1. Renewal of domain name – update.
  2. Server changeover issues due to new website – update. www.noticeotis.com not active.  The Commission asked Patricia to follow up with Bill Hiller.
    1. Annual MRPA conference.  Patricia & Kathy will be attending this conference 3/5, 3/6 & 3/7.
  1. Staff.
    1. Employee.  Patricia explained that a letter (as requested) was sent to the Town Administrator/Treasurer regarding the hiring of a Movie Night Supervisor by the Recreation Commission.  Discussed.  This Movie Night Supervisor was specifically hired for Movie Fun Night in December.  Memo will be sent to Town Administrator, Becky Stone.  She explained that the Select Board hires and the Recreation Commission recommends the applicant.  Patricia will inquire with Becky about meeting to discuss the hiring of instructors (employee, sub-contractor).
    2. Sub-Contractor.
  2. Programs/Project Proposals.  Reviewed January 2018 class schedule.
    1. Updates.  Yoga workshop (Ayurveda in the Spring) scheduled for 4/7/18.
    2. Basket Weaving Workshop – 4/14/18 (Saturday)?  Wendy Jensen will send the choices for the baskets.
    3. Community event – performer – 7/21/18?  Patricia inquired with the Commission if they would consider a different performer than last year – Ed Popielarczyk’s magic/balloon show, approved.
    4. Egg Hunt – 3/24/18 (Saturday), rain date 3/25/18?  Discussed.
    5. Cardio Blast – February 2018.  This class has been cancelled due to another group reserving use of the gym.  Patricia & Kathy attended a recent Select Board meeting, 1/9/18, as room bookings was listed as an item.  The instructor from this class was present and explained how this class works.  She explained that the Recreation Commission had contacted her regarding the gym space.  Patricia explained that it was suggested to contact her to find out if the gym can be shared or if the class could start a little later.  The instructor explained that they had met the minimum number of participants for the class and that it had already gone to print.  She later explained at this meeting that the class had been re-located to a different location in South County.  Kathy & Patricia met recently with the Town Administrator, Becky Stone, with a summary of the Rec Center and then inquired with Lisa regarding use of the space for Cardio Blast and it was explained that this space is still reserved for this group in case the new location does not work.
    6. Glass Blowing Workshop – October or November?
    7. Gingerbread House event – update.  Discussed.  One day prep and one day event worked out well, lessen time in between sessions.  Surveys were excellent.
    8. Maple Corner Farm.  This season is a trial with a “season admission pass”.
    9. Obstacle Course – 8/18/18?
    10. Otis Ridge.
    11. Shake your Soul Dance.
    12. Ski Helmet Day.
  1. Update on 1/6/18 event. Went well – fitted helmets & distributed some.  We still have inventory remaining – it was discussed to offer an additional event this season (at Otis Ridge).
  2. Additional event this season.
    1. Terrarium Workshop – 5/5/18?  Discussed.  This might be changed to a hanging basket workshop.  Will discuss further.  Also discussed the possibility of a greenery workshop at a different time of the year.
  1. Memos.  None.
  2. Old Business.   None.
  3. New Business.  1.  Patricia mentioned that the Town Administrator inquired with departments about the possibility of opening an account with Amazon – what departments would use it or find it helpful?  Discussed – more items available and competitive pricing.  2.  Discussed the Easter Egg Hunt – would like to have the Easter Bunny visit this year.  Patricia will inquire.  3.  Patricia presented information from Ski Sundown’s (CT) ski helmet program – $57 along with the option of purchasing goggles and a lock, both at an additional cost. 4.  Patricia explained that there were some checks from the recent yoga workshop that weren’t deposited timely due to human error.  She contacted the participants and all were OK to deposit but Patricia did not receive a response from one participant so it was mailed back with a note asking if they could issue a new check – apologies were sent to the participants.
  4. Adjourn.

 

Meeting adjourned at: 8:45PM.

Respectfully submitted by: Patricia Richard.

Submitted to Town Clerk.

 

Print Friendly, PDF & Email